Jan 17, 2013

Madrona Road - WIP - FLY OUT

Work in progress this week - well today is the first day in a week that I have felt well enough to do anything that is unnecessary! Sewing - Unnecessary? Depends on who you talk to - but when you are hit with the flu - well perhaps. Sleep has been my priority recently.

Looking through The Modern Quilt Guild Blog today I discovered that the Madrona Road Challenge deadline is the end of January - even though our guild website says end of March. I thought I had better get back into the sewing room.

I started this a few weeks ago - challenging myself to curved flying geese as I also wanted to try and use bias strips, pieced on a curve, rather than cut each curve individually. One of the reasons for this was limited fabric. Both worked I think...

 
Close up of fussy cut geese

 
Almost all of the piece - quilted - not yet bound
 

The concept behind the design for this piece is "know where you have come from, travel and find yourself". I think I will title this "Fly Out".

Not sure if I need to do any more quilting on this? I think it is busy enough! Your thoughts please?

Linking up with Lee from Freshly Pieced - thank you Lee for hosting.

2 comments:

  1. Very nice job on the curved piecing and overall visual effect! I particularly like how the flying geese burst free from the confines of flying in formation and head out into open space.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I like the little geese on the side too.

    I think the quilting is lovely. The pattern you chose for the quilting accents everything so nicely!

    Sorry to hear you have been sick, I hope you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete