Dec 13, 2012

WIP Christmas and Felting

Today I'm working on a Christmas Table Runner. I need to dream up a quilting design for this...


I'm thinking perhaps bells on the trees, or some streamers in red - I have some Red 50wt Aurifil that may look lovely or maybe ball balls? Any suggestions?

 

 I've also have a felted purse in progress - it is waiting for some leather straps. My Dear Man does beautiful leather work and I'm hoping that there may be time this week to get started on the straps.

For this purse I wanted to try some carving. I layer different colours of wool...


Then carve or snip into the layers once they are partially felted... (sorry photo taken on I phone is not the best)

End up with this...


A close up of the carved piece... I think I need to carve wider as the wool shrinks a significant amount in the felting process. I feel that I loose too much of the detail.


And a pocket inside is a must...


To see more of my felted creations see this gallery post.

All family members have been working on....



Linking up with Lee at Freshly Pieced - thanks Lee for hosting.

4 comments:

  1. I like the idea of quilting in the streamers, although I think that 50wt may be a bit fine to be able to define it from a distance, can you maybe get your hands on some 28wt or 12wt Aurifil in Red?

    ReplyDelete
  2. your table runner looks great! quilting the streamers on is a fantastic idea :) I agree with Katy about the thread weight, a thicker thread will look more like tree decorations. i'm having a linky party for Christmas decor with a giveaway here: http://patchworkdream.blogspot.com/2012/11/deck-halls-with-us.html I would love if you would come and link up your table runner when you finish. {you can get an extra entry into the giveaway by displaying my button} have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss read my Aurifil Label - I'd does say 12 wt! I possibly should use my glasses next time!

    Thanks Ladies! Streamers it is!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 12 wt sounds perfect for this! It will be lovely.

    Your carved felting is beautiful! Is there anything you can't do?!?

    ReplyDelete